June 21, 2013

Week 17 Love

The Purge. . .

I have a lot of stuff, and a small house. I'll admit that I can be a bit of a pack rat. But let's be clear on one thing, I am NOT a hoarder. If I ever get close to that status I hope that one of my friends will hold an intervention for me!

They say that there is a correlation between the clutter/cleanliness of your living environment and your mental/emotional state. I have found this to be very true. I'm definitely not the tidiest person, but I try to keep things somewhat in order at home. . .ok try but often fail. What normally happens is that I let the place go until one day I look around and think "OMG, I can't stand this! How did this happen?" And then I go on a cleaning/de-cluttering spree. Unfortunately, de-cluttering often means just moving the clutter into a closet or drawer or somewhere unseen. That usually works for awhile. But every now and then I get this overwhelming need to purge.

The purge urge struck last week. . .big time. All of a sudden I felt completely claustrophobic and overwhelmed by "stuff". I started tackling a couple of those places where clutter usually goes after I have de-cluttered. Like that one shelf in the bathroom cabinet that contains all of the things that I haven't touched in over a year. That broken eye shadow that is also missing the applicator brush? Yeah, I don't need that.

I purged a couple of these small areas last week and immediately started to feel better about my life in general. There are many places left to tackle, but thankfully I am still motivated. It must be because it is making me feel better! What better motivation is there?

How have you loved yourself this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment